SSP-NJ is a collaborative effort between the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired (CBVI) and The College of New Jersey. Funding for this project is provided by the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired.
The goal of SSP-NJ is to encourage New Jersey’s self-directed deafblind adults to actively participate in the communities where they live and work. Our network of Support Service Providers, or SSPs, supports us in achieving this goal. SSPs are trained professionals with skills directly related to providing access to individuals who experience a combined vision and hearing loss.
The philosophy of SSP-NJ is grounded in the assumption that all people are created equal and that human relationships thrive when the community is accessible to all. As such, SSP-NJ supports the rights of deafblind persons in accessing their environment and community.
SSP-NJ services are for self-directed adults who are eligible for vocational rehabilitation and/or independent living services from the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired. Eligible participants receive 16 hours of SSP services each month. There is no charge to eligible consumers for our services.
The key responsibilities of an SSP are to:
- Relay visual and environmental information in the deafblind person’s preferred language and communication mode.
- Serve as a human guide while walking and on public transportation, paratransit, or taxi or other hired service.
- Facilitate communication. This is done in the deafblind person’s preferred language and communication mode.
The SSP-NJ program approves services within the guidelines of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired, and in alignment with the goals set forth by the consumer. To see the comprehensive list of all approved services, please refer to the Approved Activities List below.
Approved Activities List (PDF)
Qualifications to use SSP Services:
- An adult (over the age of 18 and out of the K-12 school system)
- A New Jersey resident living in the community
- Eligible for services from the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired
- Preparing for work, looking for work, maintaining work
- Looking to gain/maintain independence in the home and community
- Capable of directing and managing an SSP
SSP-NJ strives to provide a valuable service that meets the needs of New Jersey’s deafblind residents. With this goal in mind, SSP-NJ requires and values the participation of every person who uses our services. All SSP-NJ program participants:
- Take responsibility for selecting and scheduling their own SSPs
- Manage and direct the services of their SSPs
- Rate their satisfaction with every SSP assignment
- Participate in program evaluations
(If applicable) and/or outline the application process (ie. referral)
- Request Support Service Provider Services (PDF)
- Request Support Service Provider Services (Word)
- Apply to become a Support Service Provider (PDF)
The College of New Jersey
School of Education
P.O. Box 7718
Ewing, NJ 08628-0718
Phone: 609.771.2795 (v)